Andrew G. Woolrich, MD
Dermatologist located in Upper East Side, New York, NY
Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that can cause redness, bumps, and uncomfortable swelling. Dr. Andrew G. Woolrich can help treat flares of rosacea for patients in New York, NY, and surrounding areas.
Rosacea Q & A
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a chronic skin condition amongst people ages 30 to 50 that can cause redness and swelling on the face, neck, ears, scalp, chest, back, and even the areas around the eye. It is thought to be caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Although rosacea is not contagious, it can be disfiguring if left untreated. Signs of rosacea can develop over a long period and may include one or more of the following:
- Facial redness - flushing and persistent redness with possible visible blood vessels
- Skin thickening and enlargement, usually around the nose
- Eye irritation - dry, watery or bloodshot eyes, burning, stinging, or a gritty feeling
- Bumps and pus-filled pimples along with persistent facial redness and inflamed, itchy skin
How is Rosacea Treated?
Rosacea treatment is focused on managing and calming symptoms. These treatments can include oral and topical medications, lifestyle modifications, laser, and electrodesiccation. Your individual treatment will be based on the severity and type of rosacea you have. For best results, a combination of treatments might be necessary. Early diagnosis and treatment of rosacea can help control symptoms, alleviate discomfort, and stop rosacea from progressing. Avoiding common triggers will help you to avoid flare-ups. Some common rosacea triggers can include sun exposure, spicy foods, hot baths, alcohol consumption, and emotional stress. Other steps to take to manage your rosacea include:
- Avoiding drinking alcohol
- Avoiding direct sunlight and wearing sunscreen
- Avoid abrasive facial cleansers
- Taking eye medications and antibiotics for ocular rosacea
- Using lasers and light treatment to help in severe rosacea cases
For more information on how Dr. Woolrich can help you treat your rosacea, contact our office and schedule an appointment today.
Accepted Insurance Providers
Dr. Woolrich accepts most major insurances. If you have any questions, please feel free to give our office a call and one of our knowledgeable staff members will be happy to help.
Our office is handicap accessible and English, Spanish and Hebrew are spoken.
Words from our patients
"Dr Woolrich is one of the really good, dedicated doctors out there."
"Dr. Woolrich gives a complete exam and never rushes. He answers questions directly and has a good sense of humor."
"Dr. Woolrich is very considerate and professional. I've already made referrals and would refer others."